Last week I discussed 3 keys to effective communication. This week it’s all about what Gartner said last week at the Gartner Symposium ITxpo 2013.
What did Gartner have to say?
Were you able to make it to the Gartner Symposium ITxpo 2013 last week? Gartner had a lot to say that should excite not only IT professionals, but specifically Enterprise Architects. Gartner stated that many industries face accelerating pressure for fundamental business transformation. In order for the IT leadership within your organization to set the strategy for these initiatives, they will need to depend on the information from the EA team. EA needs to map out transformation plans based on the following:
- New technology availability
- Consumer demographics
- Consumer behavioral changes
- Market conditions
Now is the time for Enterprise Architecture to shine
What Gartner said last week should not come as a surprise to all of us architects. The world of IT is changing in a big way. IT is no longer seen as a “keep the lights on” organization. IT is pushing hard to be in lock-step with the business to deliver innovation and drive business value using EA as the vehicle.
If you have been reading my blogs this year, the common theme has been for EA to show the business a holistic picture of a fully connected enterprise. A picture that can answer key business questions to make strategic decisions allowing the business to transform with intense agility.
I challenge all architects to do the following NOW!
- Communicate with leadership to understand their strategy and goals for the next 12-18 months.
- Obtain an executive sponsor by showing an innovative, sexy transformation plan.
- Model the current state architecture of the enterprise.
- Model the ideal future state architecture of the enterprise.
- Partner with stakeholders that own a discipline that makeup part of the architecture (i.e. change and configuration management, project and portfolio management, etc.) to come up with a roadmap to get to the future state.
- Communicate effectively to leadership and across the organization early and often.
- Deliver an architecture that can enable the leadership to make strategic decisions that will drive business value faster with minimum cost and risk.
To keep up with the top 10 strategic technology trends Gartner identified for 2014. If you are passionate about your organization and want to help ensure their success then be innovative, communicate effectively, partner, and enable them to transform and drive real business value that will push them through 2014 and beyond.
See you next week, same time, same place.