In the second part of “Memoirs of an Enterprise Architect” I discussed how to manage software in your organization. Part 3 requires you to think outside the box and get creative around report rationalization.
Want to know how I saved my last company 43 million dollars over 2 years with some Troux creative thinking? The secret is about to be revealed… Ah, I have your attention don’t I?
The problem you need to solve
Have you ever thought of all of the ad-hoc reports people write in your company to provide data to senior management and executives? People spend a large percentage of their time slicing and dicing data instead of focusing on the role they were hired for. This adds up to countless hours of lost productivity for your organization. The results:
- Senior management receives conflicting data and does not know which reports are correct, if any.
- Strategic decisions are often made with incomplete or incorrect data.
- Disproportionate number of headcount is dedicated to report writing.
- Unnecessary risks are introduced by people standing up their own SQL Servers, Access Databases, SharePoints, etc. with no controls in place.
Why? Because in most cases these reports do not originate from the same source data and there is no centralization for it either.
If you think your organization is immune to this behavior, then you are probably one that also believes that Facebook and Instagram are just fads. Wake up people and stop this behavior now!
How can you help your company save millions in a short period of time?
At the time when my previous organization purchased Troux, I did not realize Troux would be the perfect solution to this problem. Although this is not an out-of-the-box solution, Troux lends itself to develop creative reporting solutions because it is extensible.
By following the steps listed below, you will help your company save money:
- Assemble a tiger team with a member representing each business segment (including IT).
- Enable the tiger team to gather all reporting information for their respective segment and enter them into Troux.
- Create a portal solution in Troux comprising the details of a report (i.e. purpose, used by, technology, infrastructure required, owner, etc.).
- Determine where non IT supported instances of SQL Server, Oracle, Access, and any other database technologies your organization uses are running.
- Create relationships between the report owners, consumers and infrastructure where the reports are executed in Troux.
As the tiger team starts capturing reporting data, you will be able to make key business decisions and understand the what, how and who around reporting.
Troux reporting capabilities will allow your company to:
- Centralize reporting and generate accurate reports.
- Eliminate confusion over conflicting reports, enabling better business decisions.
- Reduce headcount for writing reports and increase productivity for primary job role.
- Reduce infrastructure.
- Eliminate risks related to non IT supported infrastructure, data integrity, virus, malware, etc.
Are you beginning to see dollar signs?
I will wrap this up with a big fat KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).
See you next week, same time, same place where I will discuss Application Portfolio Management: What is an application anyway?